We are a software development company that provides solutions to the healthcare IT market and we are seeking a talented individual to join our core development team based in Milton Keynes as a product owner.
This is an opportunity to work for a healthcare IT company within an Agile Development Team supporting the members of the Development and Product team to help the business and the development teams to drive sprint planning to deliver maximum value into the product within the constraints of the team capacity and the Program Increment Objectives.
You will collaborate with Product Management in helping to define overall product vision and establishing Program Increment Objectives for your areas of responsibility. You will attend meetings to provide updates and feedback to various stakeholders, be responsible for input to the development teams and provide representation of stakeholders internally for the team. You will be responsible for reviewing the output from the development team to ensure new features meet the desired requirements and demonstrate new capability through show and tell sessions. You will help maintain and update any cases and documentation for our product and help create or update technical specifications and / or release notes as and when required.
- Develop product expertise in your areas of responsibility such that you can act as the go to expert within the development organisation from a planning and priority perspective.
- Work closely with the current Product Owners to manage the development team level backlog to ensure a well-defined and prioritised pipeline of work items are available for each sprint planning session. This will include close collaboration with Scrum Masters, Development Leads and Agile Team members in regular backlog grooming/refinements sessions as well as collaboration with other stakeholders as required. Backlog management will include:
- Acting as gatekeeper for accepting requirements onto the backlog from Product Management, Release Management and Agile Team.
- Where required, ensure that sufficient functional design and other required collateral has been produced in support of requirements transferred from Program level.
- Ensure UX design standards are appropriately applied to UI development where appropriate.
- Help break down larger EPICs, Features and User Stories into User Stories sized appropriately for development requirements (small enough to complete within a sprint).
- Prioritize work items on the backlog on an ongoing basis to ensure an ordered backlog is available for sprint planning.
- Collaborate with the Agile Team to ensure all work items on the backlog have suitable effort estimates.
- Collaborate with Product Management to help define the forward-looking vision for the product(s) and module(s) within your areas of responsibility.
- Influence colleagues in Product Management on areas of potential product improvements.
- Contribute to the multi-functional project team in planning the scope and schedule for releases and defining the associated Program Increment Objectives.
- Timely and accurate reporting of assigned work status as required by your Manager, reporting risks and issues as they arise.
- Work with the Agile team to achieve excellent levels of product quality.
- Work with the Agile team to produce any required documentation and training materials for the product(s) within your areas of responsibility.
- Triaging 3rd line / 4th line calls raised by the service desk team for development to investigate.
- Any other activities in support of the business which can reasonably be expected to fall within the capabilities of the employee.
Education, experience and skills
Whilst it is accepted that the individual education and experience profile for a product owner will vary, the following is provided as a guideline:
- Degree or equivalent in a business or IT related discipline or equivalent professional experience in a software development environment.
- Strong organisational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, influence, negotiate and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders with often conflicting priorities and requirements.
- An interest in healthcare IT would be an advantage e.g. work experience or studies in this area
- Knowledge of Agile and SAFE Agile would be an advantage
- Knowledge of JIRA or other issue tracking software product would be an advantage
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org