SQL Server Developer
An exciting opportunity has become available to join a software company that provides leading software solutions to the UK health and care sector. As a SQL Server DB Developer, you will help to architect and design, develop, test, and deliver new capability and enhance the existing core product.
The role involves working with the core Development and QA teams, in an agile environment, using Microsoft SQL server and SQL Azure. It will provide an opportunity to work and contribute in delivering software designed for critical systems used in the NHS and Social Care to help deliver systems that process messages in real time, involving large transactional data, using RESTful APIs, integration engines and web based technology.
The role will also involve an element of 3rd / 4th line assistance to help with the resolution of support calls, data migration support and help with major site upgrade assistance.
Purpose & Main Responsibilities:
- Design, Develop and Maintain the core and bespoke databases in SQL Server.
- Assist and input in the Design and Development of the solution to the cloud in Azure.
- Work closely with the product team to implement new functions and capabilities.
- Updating and re-engineer the existing database architecture to improve performance and capability, helping to drive continuous improvement and create a low latency solution.
- Provide technical expertise when required to the development team in matters related to SQL Server.
- Assist with any maintenance and support of Core and bespoke Databases in SQL Server including investigating any 4th line support calls.
- Follow and support the agile process in development, taking part in all agile ceremonies, as necessary.
Education & Experience
Key Skills (the following is provided as a guideline):
- BSC or equivalent in a computer science or software engineering discipline.
- Professional qualifications appropriate to DB engineering roles such as Microsoft’s MCSA SQL DB Development or Azure DBA certifications.
- Experience of working with large transactional databases.
- Knowledge of Source Control management principals such as Git or Azure DevOps.
- Experience of designing and developing database schema/ objects whilst following good practices (such as normalisation).
- Excellent knowledge of the SQL Database Engine including Strong T-SQL Experience (writing queries and working with XML or JSON, creating / administrating stored procedures, scripts, functions, triggers, views, and other objects).
- Excellent performance tuning skills (experience of Query Tuning, Index Optimisation, Locking etc.).
- Excellent communication and documentation skills - both to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Ability to work in a team environment with people of different skill sets ranging from junior to senior levels.
- Experience of database release / upgrades with product releases.
- Extensive experience of working with Microsoft SQL Server up to 2019.
- Experience in database installation, backup, restore and maintenance.
- Experience of database offerings on Azure and data migration experience of SQL on-prem to Azure.
- Data Warehouse development, ETL and transformation into conformed design.
- Practical experience and knowledge of the Microsoft stack.
- Understanding of relational database design & dimensional Data-modelling.
- Some experience of using an IDE like Visual Studio desirable (e.g. for debugging or analysing code).
- Knowledge of NOSQL / Document DBs advantageous.
- Knowledge of 3rd party toolkits e.g. RedGate.
- Domain or Product expertise in IT Healthcare would be advantageous but not essential.
Please apply in writing, sending a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org